Petri Nets History
In this section of Petri Nets World you will find some
nice articles about the history of Petri Nets and about the people
who worked with them.
- About Carl Adam Petri, who was the first to formally
define the Petri Nets language. Petri did so with his PhD thesis
(Kommunikation mit Automaten) in the beginning of the 60'ies.
- There is an excellent article about Carl Adam Petri, his
exceptional life, and work. The article
Carl Adam Petri
and "Petri Nets" was written by Wilfried Brauer
and Wolfgang Reisig and was translated from
Informatik-Spektrum, Vol. 29, Nr. 5, pp. 369-374,
Springer Verlag, 2006. You can download it here as
The German version can also be obtained as
- Carl Adam Petri has a homepage, with bibliography and
Curriculum Vitae, at the following WWW address:
- There are several photographs available online of C.A. Petri:
and Zaragoza 1999.
- In 2009 Carl Adam Petri received the prestigious IEEE
Computer Pioneer Award 2008
"For establishing Petri net theory in 1962, which not only was cited by
hundreds of thousands of scientific publications but also significantly
advanced the fields of parallel and distributed computing."
(The quote is taken from the IEEE webpage here.
The maintainers of this page