Entry last updated: 2004/5/17
Entry last validated: 2004/5/17
Tool homepage: http://www.gfic-oasys.com/english/miss/description.htm
Tool availability: Commercial
Petri Nets Supported (see also help on terminology)
Components (see also help on terminology)
- Stochastic Petri Nets
- Petri Nets with Time
- Coloured Petri Nets
- Graphical Editor
- Fast Simulation
- Sun, SunOS
- PC, MS Windows NT
- PC, MS Windows 2000
Interactive Modelling and System Simulation by Petri Nets
¨ IXI Copyright 1992-1998
TIMED, STOCHASTIC & COLOURED PETRI NETS
PŸle M‰thodes & Outils d'Analyse Systˆme
12, rue Rouget de Lisle
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
T‰l : +33 (0)1 46 62 30 00
Fax : +33 (0)1 46 62 33 31
Phone: (+33) (0)1 46 62 30 06
Fax: (+33) (0)5 61 75 24 10
MISS-RdP is a software tool developed by IXI in close relation with major industrials companies : AEROSPATIALE, ALCATEL, CENA (French Air Traffic Control), CNES (French Space Agency) and Research centers (CNRS/LAAS).
Based upon the Timed, Stochastic, Coloured and Hybrid Petri Net techniques, MISS-RdP computes operational performances statistics with Monte-Carlo Simulation.
The tool is particularly adapted to take into account Deterministic Events (decisions, delays,...) or Random Events (failures, repair times,...).
Thanks to Simulation, the typical restrictions encoutered with Stochastic Petri Nets are overcome.
So both transient and stationary period results can be provided with MISS-RdP.
Editing the model and to apply parameters without the inconveniences of a restricting syntax is easily accomplished thanks to the graph and ergonomic interface.
A concept of messages (conditions/actions related to transitions), which brings modularity and structure the model, is a determinant asset with regard to validation, evolutivity and potential re-use of the model.
A concept of states and events enables the model to be dissociated from the measures and observations resulting from the simulation, and facilitates the sensitivity analysis.
MISS-RdP has been used in many industrial application fields (aeronautics, defense, manufacturing, nuclear, aerospace, air traffic control, transport, process industry...) for more than 7 days.
Examples of use :
MISS-RdP takes advantage of the mathematical and graphical power of Petri Nets (generic technique), and allows dynamic behaviours to be simulated.
- Evaluation satellite constellation systems and grount segments performance : SkyBridge, WorldStar, Starsys, Egnos, Europe*Star (AEROSPATIALE, ALCATEL SPACE, CNES, EUMETSAT)
- Research of the best strategy of reconfiguration and exploitation of a Production System; Optimisation of Maintenance organisation (COGEMA,ESSILOR)
- Analysis and simulation of Hybrid Systems (continuous and discrete systems)
- Reliability and Safety studies (PEUGEOT SA, LABINAL/TURBOMECA, EUROCOPTER)
- Availability analysis (CENA, AEROSPATIALE)
The greatest interest of such a tool consists in the easy modelling of:
MISS-RdP is generally used to assist with the definition (design) of:
- task synchronization
- parallel activities
- shared resources
- timed phenomena (random events or delays)
- determinist as well as undeterminist phenomena.
MISS-RdP enables operational availability and exploitation costs calculation, and is very efficient for performing trade-off and sensitivity analysis. It is also used to help in the definition of spare parts and in the planning and scheduling of production.
- system architecture,
- industrial processes,
- logistic support processes
- exploitation (operation and maintenance) strategies.
The characteristics of MISS-RdP are particularly well suited to the analysis of industrial systems or processes that generally present:
MISS-RdP, developped in C++, is available on Unix (Solaris 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6) and PC (Windows 95, NT).
MISS-RdP results can be exploited through any external spreadsheet program.
MISS-RdP is available in english and french versions. A complete documentation is available including Installation Manual and User Manual.
- Redundant and reconfigurable architectures
- dynamic behaviours and parallel processes with timed tasks and synchronisms
- limited (and shared) resources to implement the functions and services
- failure risks
- degraded configurations...
A training course on Petri Nets is also proposed with exercices and industrial examples (1 or 3 days).
Based on Coloured Petri nets, MISS-RdP is particularly adapted to the modelling of the following :
The Hybrid modelling and simulation capacities of MISS-RdP are particularly well adapted to the modelling of production systems : modelling of interaction between the process (mainly continuous) and the control (mainly discontinuous). Thus, MISS-RdP is capable of being coupled with continuous simulators.
- Individual identification of data (resources) which follow a same process:
- Various actions (processing) on data, depending on their characteristics
- Sequential processing (consideration of the order...)
- Change of data characteristics through an action
- Association / Dissociation of data.
Such an hybrid simulator as Miss-RDP is well suited to support planning and scheduling activities in a production management environment, and to evaluate operational performances.
Some specific developments are performed by companies in order to integrate MISS-RdP into their System Analysis Workshop.
The main developments consist in :
- developing several libraries of generic elementary models
- developing interfaces to perform system modelling directly from existing libraries, without access to the Petri nets.
The maintainers of this page